Judaism without God
I grew up in a religious home. I lead the prayers in a youth congregagion. I studied in a Yeshiva for a year. When I left the Yeshiva I felt that I would return to following the commandments when I was Bar Mitzvah. That didn't happen.
Until the age of 19 I thought that anyone who didn't believe in "God" was stupid. It was so clear that IT existed. (I write IT because I don't think anyone really thinks that "God" has gender). 
In 1955-6 I participated in a training program, of the Habonim youth movement, in a kibbutz for 9 months.
In one of the lectures the principal of the school told us that he explained to his pupils that the Jews once believed in a "God". but not any more !
I was shocked. 
How did he dare tell this to the children ?
This could be his opinion, but to tell this to the children.......
And he wasn't stupid.
In the 3 years that followed I engaged in discussions with others that did not believe. I tried to convince them that it was clear that IT existed. 
One day I was listening to a lecture on Darwin.
The lecturer mentioned that some people think that "God" was glue !! It kept the universe together, so that it would continue to 
behave according to the laws that we discovered.
He asked - If "God" didn't exist would the universe fall apart ?
I awakened. I understood that I believed in glue. I stopped.
As I grew older I found more and more reasons why worhipping "God" was the same as worshipping any other foreign gods. My opinion strengthened that it was a misake to worship this false god as well.
I accepted the claim of the agnostics that humans dp not have the capability of knowing if "God" exists or if IT doesn't.
Later I read about IGnostics and saw that this term fit me better.
An ignostic doesn't know what people mean when they use the term "God". There are many different descriptions. I am able to accept some descriptions, like - "God" is the sum of all that is good. But then I ask why call it "God" ? That doesn't add anything and it confuses the issue.
In addition the "God" that most believers accept is EVIL.
Since IT is all knowing and all powerful IT has the ability to change events, the existence of bad events is IT's responsibility.
IT is even worse than Satan, since Satan can't do anything without IT's approval.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog